Strategic Plan- Focus 2020: In 2016 the WHSA Board of Directors engaged Allen-Olson Consulting to develop a strategic plan for 2017-2020. A large group and small group process was used to develop “Focus 2020”. Five mission focus areas were identified with initiatives to pursue:
1. Support for Local Programs to Succeed
- Provide leadership and information to develop a shared understanding of the new 2016 Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS)
- Develop a process and proper protocol for sharing information with the Association
- Build the Head Start workforce
- Increase the statewide professional development capacity.
2. Advocacy: Telling the Head Start Story
- Develop a WHSA marketing campaign to create and lift up awareness of Head Start in Wisconsin
- Utilize the voices of parents to tell their success stories.
- Develop a grassroots advocacy network and build an advocacy agenda.
3. Defining the Work of Affiliates and Workgroups within the Association
- Build a WHSA Quarterly meeting format, agenda and content to meet member needs
- Define new ways to meet the professional development needs of WHSA members (using technology)
- Define the roles and responsibilities of work groups, affiliates and orientation protocol for new leaders.
- Update the WHSA Handbook.
4. Implement and Maintain Meaningful Leadership Development Opportunities
- A. Develop focused multi-phase leadership development programs for parents, staff and directors.
- B. Identify and support new leaders for WHSA
- C. Create a parent leadership program.
- D. Mentoring program for new staff and directors.
5. Viability, Financial Sustainability and structure of WHSA
- Examining the Board structure for financial sustainability
- Identify and pursue national innovative practices to increase membership and income sources.